The stakes in the iconic Milan Derby are as high as they've been since 2011, with Milan and Inter occupying the top two places in Serie A.
We're backing Inter to claim a crucial win. Here's why...
🗿 Milan Derby number 228
The Derby della Madonnina in 2020-21 takes on extra significance with the two San Siro giants both chasing Scudetto glory this term. After 22 rounds, it's Inter that leads the way with the Rossoneri just a point behind them ahead of Sunday's showdown.
Zlatan Ibrahimović and Romelu Lukaku meet again for the first time since their altercation in the Coppa Italia in January. Lukaku and Inter got the last laugh with Zlatan being dismissed and Christian Eriksen scoring an injury-time winner.
Momentum is also with the Nerazzurri after they leapfrogged Milan last weekend with a 3-1 win over in-form Lazio to perch themselves in a psychologically-significant position at the top of the tree.
Milan has lost two of their last four in Serie A and conceded a stoppage-time equalizer in midweek against ten-man Red Star Belgrade to draw 2-2 in the Europa League.
It's safe to say that morale in Stefano Pioli's camp has been better.
🗞 Team news
Davide Calabria is back from suspension so he'll slot in at right-back, while Sandro Tonali should replace the injured Algerian star Ismaël Bennacer.
🧮 Likely XI (4-2-3-1):
Donnarumma; Calabria, Kjær, Romagnoli, Hernández; Tonali, Kessié; Saelemaekers, Çalhanoğlu, Rebić; Zlatan
Manager Antonio Conte has little reason to make any changes to the XI that beat Lazio and, aside from the injured Stefano Sensi, he has a clean bill of health.
🧮 Likely XI (3-5-2):
Handanović; Škriniar, De Vrij, Bastoni; Hakimi, Brozović, Barella, Eriksen, Perišić; Lukaku, Martínez
🏟 Last seven meetings
Despite Milan's win in this season's reverse fixture, their overall recent record against Inter has been poor with just that solitary win in any of the last seven derbies across all competitions.
⚔️ Last seven Milan Derbies in all competitions:— Futaa.com (@Futaacom) February 19, 2021
🔵 Inter 2-1 Milan
🔴 Inter 1-2 Milan
🔵 Inter 4-2 Milan
🔵 Milan 0-2 Inter
🔵 Milan 2-3 Inter
🔵 Inter 1-0 Milan
🤝 Milan 0-0 Inter
🎯 Both Zlatan & Lukaku have found the net in each of the last three.#derbydellamadonnina pic.twitter.com/oRPjOqyucV
🔥 Hot facts
- Each of the last three competitive meetings between these rivals has seen both Zlatan Ibrahimović and Romelu Lukaku find the net.
- The Nerazzurri has won five of the last six head-to-heads (all competitions) and the last three have all featured goals at both ends
- Milan has failed to win any of their last three meetings with fellow top-six sides at San Siro.
- Inter has kept clean sheets in four of their last five Serie A matches.
- There have been 14 goals scored in the last four meetings between Milan & Inter.
- Inter is undefeated in 16 of their last 17 away matches in Serie A.
- Inter right-back Achraf Hakimi has six goals & four assists in Serie A this term.
Don't miss this one.
📲 Follow Milan vs Inter live