Matt Ritchie says sorry after bust-up with manager Steve Bruce
General

Matt Ritchie says sorry after bust-up with manager Steve Bruce

Newcastle United midfielder Matt Ritchie has apologized after a training ground bust-up with head coach Steve Bruce.

It has been claimed the 31-year-old was involved in an angry exchange with Bruce earlier this week over the former Manchester United defender’s post-match comments following Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Wolves, in which he suggested substitute Ritchie had not passed on information from the touchline seconds before the visitors scored their equalizer.


The club has not commented on the incident, but it is understood the player has apologized for what he said and that the matter is now considered closed.

Newcastle currently find themselves deep in relegation trouble with 12 games of the Premier League season remaining, having won just two of their last 15 league matches to slip to within three points of the drop zone.

Bruce’s position has been brought into even sharper focus by that run, which has fuelled the fires of his critics.
The Magpies head for 19th-placed West Brom on Sunday with leading scorer Callum Wilson, Miguel Almiron, and Allan Saint-Maximin, who have scored 16 of their 27 league goals to date this season, all facing several weeks on the sidelines through injury.
 
Ritchie, who was a key member of the team under Rafael Benitez but has slipped down the pecking order since Bruce’s arrival, could have a role to play in their absence as the 60-year-old looks to find the goals, pace, and creativity he has lost.

  • Newcastle United - Next Match
  • 19, May - 8:00pm
Go to Event