It's a derby weekend!
West Ham host Chelsea at the London Stadium on Saturday afternoon in what could be a crucial derby in the Premier League's Champions League chase.
Let's take a look at the two sides...
⚒️ The Hammers:
Without a doubt, the Hammers have been the Premier League's surprise bundle this season. The only reason David Moyes' side is outside the top four is that they have a lower goal differential than Saturday's fourth-place visitors.
Last time out, they were defeated 3-2 by Newcastle United, putting their top-four hopes in jeopardy. The loss ended a two-game winning streak in the English Premier League. The Hammers' recent run of form in the Premier League continued at St James Park, as they have now scored at least two goals in each of their last four league games. They've also conceded at the other end of the field.
They've also conceded at least twice in each of the same four league games on the other end of the field.
West Ham's recent home form has been good, with the Irons winning six of their last eight Premier League matches at the London Stadium. They've also scored at least twice in each of their last five Premier League home games.
🔵 The Blues:
Chelsea's form has improved recently under Thomas Tuchel, but their recent league results have been disappointing.
The Blues have only won once in their last four league games, after a goalless draw with struggling Brighton last time out. The match against the Seagulls marked a welcome return to defensive consistency for the visitors, who have now kept five clean sheets in their last seven games.
Tuchel's men have been tough to beat on the road recently, as they have gone unbeaten in their last six league away games, winning four of them. Their recent away games in the English Premier League have been low-scoring affairs, with under 2.5 goals scored in six of their last eight away league games.
The visitors have a bad recent record against West Ham, having won only one of their last six games against their London rivals. The Blues never seem to really like their play as they visit the Hammers.
🔢 West Ham vs Chelsea: By the numbers
- Coming into this game, West Ham United has picked up 7 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 1.4 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in an intriguing 4 of those games. West Ham United has scored 11 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Superb stuff from West Ham United at home, where they are currently unbeaten in 5 games. Can they go another game without defeat?
- Chelsea’s defense will have to be at their best today if they’re to stop West Ham United from scoring. The home side has scored in the last 15 games in front of their own fans. They have failed to score in 1 home match this season.
- We might see some goals in this one, with the last 4 games involving West Ham United has ended with 3 or more goals being scored. Will Chelsea get in on the action today? There has been a total of 22 goals in the last 5 games for West Ham United, both home and away.
- In the last 5 matches for West Ham United, 4 of those games have ended with both teams scoring. This season 19 matches (59% of all matches) involving West Ham United have seen BTTS landing.
- It’s likely that West Ham United will score today, as they have netted in the last 4 games coming into this one and have scored 11 goals in the last five games.
- Coming into this game, Chelsea has picked up 10 points from the last 5 games, both home and away. That’s 2 points per game on average. BTTS has landed in just 2 of those games. Chelsea has scored 9 times in the last 5 fixtures.
- Superb stuff from Chelsea away from home, where they are currently unbeaten in 6 games. Can they go another game without defeat?
- Chelsea has kept 3 clean sheets in the last 5 games, conceding 6 goals during this period. Overall this season, their defense has kept a clean sheet on 15 occasions.
- Chelsea will be looking to keep up the momentum today against West Ham United, having lost just 1 game from the last 5. They have won 3 and drawn 1.
- Just 2 of the last 5 games for Chelsea has ended with both teams scoring. They have won 3 of those 5 games.
🥅 Predicted lineups:
West Ham: Fabianski; Diop, Ogbonna, Cresswell; Coufal, Soucek, Noble, Johnson; Fornals, Lingard; Bowen
Chelsea: Mendy; Azpilicueta, Thiago Silva, Zouma; Hudson-Odoi, Kante, Jorginho, Chilwell; Mount, Werner, Ziyech
👀 Men to watch:
West Ham- Jesse Lingard
Lingard was the talk of the town before the European Super League drama. Since joining the Hammers in January, he has been reborn as a player. This season in the Premier League, the Englishman has scored more goals than Timo Werner, Kia Havertz, and Hakim Ziyech combined. In this game, he will be crucial for them.
Chelsea- N’Golo Kante
People couldn't stop praising the Frenchman at one stage. However, this has not been the case in recent years. Perhaps Kante's abilities have been underappreciated. He is Chelsea's most talented player, and his dynamism and enthusiasm will be crucial in stopping West Ham and launching counter-attacks.
🔬 Our prediction:
In the quest for a Champions League spot next season, there is very little between these two teams.
Both teams have had mixed results recently, and we think they will balance each other out, so we're going with the draw. Jesse Lingard, the on-loan Manchester United attacking midfielder, has been in red-hot scoring form in recent weeks, so we're backing him to influence the game positively.