High-scoring Denmark will meet the Czech Republic in the quarter-finals of UEFA Euro 2020 on Saturday, looking to continue their remarkable comeback.
After pulling off the first major upset of UEFA Euro 2020 with a Round of 16 win over the Netherlands, the Czech Republic will meet Denmark in the quarter-finals. The match will be held at Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan, one of the penultimate stadiums before the tournament moves to Wembley Stadium in London.
Denmark's Euro 2020 campaign has been a roller coaster so far. Christian Eriksen's catastrophic collapse and back-to-back losses to Finland and Belgium set the tone for their campaign. However, an improbable 4-0 victory over Russia propelled them to second place in Group B.
In the Round of 16, the Danish dynamites were likewise the most dominant team, convincingly defeating Wales 4-0 at the Amsterdam Arena. It was a commanding performance that now gives Kasper Hjulmand's men a great chance to secure a historic position in the European Championship semi-final.
The Czech Republic, though, are not to be underestimated, having defeated the Netherlands in the Round of 16. One may argue that the ejection of Matthijs de Ligt was a bit of a fluke, but they were the clear winners in Hungary thanks to a tireless all-around performance.
Jaroslav Silhavy's club qualified for the knockout stages as one of the competition's four best third-placed teams. However, their performance in the previous round implies that they are capable of progressing beyond the quarter-finals.
Czech Republic vs Denmark Predicted XI
Czech Republic (4-2-3-1): Tomas Vaclik; Jan Boril, Tomas Kalas, Ondrej Celustka, Vladimir Coufal; Tomas Soucek, Tomas Holes; Jakub Jankto, Antonin Barak, Lukas Masopust; Patrik Schick.
Denmark (3-4-2-1): Kasper Schmeichel; Andreas Christensen, Simon Kjær, Jannik Vestergaard; Daniel Wass, Pierre-Emil Højbjerg, Thomas Delaney, Joakim Mæhle; Martin Braithwaite, Mikkel Damsgaard; Kasper Dolberg
- This is the third meeting between the Czech Republic and Denmark at the European Championship – the Czechs have won both previous games (2-0 in the Euro 2000 group stages and 3-0 in the Euro 2004 group quarter-final).
- Five of the last six matches between these two sides have ended as draws, including their most recent encounter in November 2016. The other game in this run was a 3-0 Denmark win in a March 2013 World Cup qualifier.
- With a 4-1 victory against Russia and a 4-0 victory against Wales, Denmark became the first team in European Championship history to score 4+ goals in consecutive games in the competition. They have nine goals so far at Euro 2020, only scoring more in a major tournament in the 1986 FIFA World Cup (10).
- This is the Czech Republic’s fourth European Championship quarter-final, progressing from two of the previous three (1996 vs Portugal, 2004 vs Denmark) but failing the last time they reached this stage in 2012, losing 1-0 to Portugal.
- Denmark are averaging 18.8 shots and 7.3 shots on target per game so far at Euro 2020. Both are their highest numbers on record at a single edition at a major tournament (since 1966 – World Cup and EURO).
Futaa's best bets