Ivorian international Nicolas Pepe became the most expensive African footballer after sealing a £72 million transfer from Lille which also smashed Arsenal's transfer record.
The deal surprised many Arsenal fans after reports had indicated that the club had been allocated a transfer budget of £40 million but the deal will be paid in installments throughout Pepe's contract. The former Lille winger is in line to make his Arsenal debut in their final pre-season game against Barcelona on Sunday 4th August.
Top ten most expensive African footballers
1. Nicolas Pepe, £72m ($87m) - Arsenal
2. Cedric Bakambu, £65.4m ($83m) – Beijing Guoan
3. Riyad Mahrez, £60m ($76m) – Manchester City
4. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, £56m ($71m) – Arsenal
5. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, £56m ($71m) – Arsenal
6. Mohamed Salah, £36.9m ($45m) – Liverpool
7. Sadio Mane, £35m ($42.5m) – Liverpool
8. Eric Bailly, £30m (36.4m) – Manchester United
9. Islam Slimani, £29.5m ($35.8m) – Leicester City
10. Wilfried Bony, £28m ($34m) – Manchester City