Seven players made the UEFA team of the year for the very first time in their careers, while five Liverpool stars made the cut.
UEFA.com Fans’ Team of the Year for 2019 was determined by more than a month of voting during which more than two million votes were cast. It's a slightly unconventional looking 4-2-4 formation, with N'Golo Kanté reported having missed the cut to accommodate Cristiano Ronaldo in a four-pronged attack.
Six Premier League players made the cut, including five represented by European Champions Liverpool. UEFA Men’s Player of the Year Virgil van Dijk won the UEFA Champions League with his club and also reached the final of the UEFA Nations League with the Netherlands.
🎇 #TeamOfTheYear 2019 revealed! 🎇— UEFA Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) January 15, 2020
More than 2 million votes were cast - thanks for taking part! 🙌
Juventus superstar Cristiano Ronaldo was included for a record 14th time after helping Portugal to win the inaugural edition of the UEFA Nations League at The Netherlands' expense.
🧮 Full UEFA.com fans' team of the year
Alisson (Liverpool & Brazil); Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool & England), Matthijs de Ligt (Juventus & The Netherlands), Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool & The Netherlands), Andy Robertson (Liverpool & Scotland); Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City & Belgium), Frenkie de Jong (The Netherlands & Barcelona); Lionel Messi (Barcelona & Argentina), Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus & Portugal), Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich & Poland), Sadio Mané (Liverpool & Senegal).
✅ UEFA.com Fans' Team of the Year facts
- There are seven newcomers in the lineup – Alisson, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Matthijs de Ligt, Andy Robertson, Frenkie de Jong, Robert Lewandowski and Sadio Mané.
- For the first time, Liverpool has the most players in the team.
- Newly-crowned African Player of the Year Sadio Mané won the Premier League Golden Boot in 2018/2019 alongside fellow African stars Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang & Mo Salah with 22 goals.
- Sadio Mané already has 11 goals & eight assists in the Premier League for 2019/2020.
- The Netherlands is the most represented country with three players.
- Matthijs de Ligt is the youngest player in the XI.
- Lionel Messi has been picked in the UEFA.com Fans’ Team of the Year for the 11th time after becoming the first player to score in the UEFA Champions League in 15 successive seasons.
⬇️ Predict 6 EPL football scores with Futaa6 and you could win the $10,000 Jackpot, best of all it’s completely free to play every week in the Futaa Android App Download it now to play!