Manchester United will look to make it three wins in a row when they host Istanbul Başakşehir in the Champions League, the only team that has managed to beat them in the competition thus far.
🔑 Match details
Manchester United made an electric start to their Champions League campaign with wins over PSG and RB Leipzig providing them with a superb chance to qualify for the Round of 16. However, the group was left a tad bit evenly poised when they suffered a shock 2-1 defeat the hands of Istanbul Basaksehir. Since then, the Red Devils have bounced back with back-to-back wins in the league.
Istanbul Basaksehir, on the other hand, were winless in the UEFA Champions League until their big victory over Manchester United, which leaves them level on points with third-placed PSG. The Turkish outfit, though, have since lost two of their subsequent three games and come into this fixture on the back of a 3-2 defeat to Besiktas in the Super Lig.
Here is where you should place your bets today, and why.
🔢 Key betting stats
- Manchester United have lost three of their last four games against Turkish opponents in European competition (W1), including each of the last two in a row.
- İstanbul Başakşehir’s only previous away game against an English team in European competition came in August 2018, when they lost 0-1 against Burnley in a UEFA Europa League qualifier.
- At Old Trafford, Manchester United have won their last three games against Turkish opposition across the UEFA Champions League and Europa League – their last such defeat at home came back in November 2009, losing 0-1 against Besiktas in the Champions League.
- İstanbul Başakşehir’s previous three games against English sides in European competition have seen them lose once, draw once and win once, with their only victory coming in this season’s reverse fixture against Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League.
- Manchester United have won their last six home games in European competition by an aggregate score of 20-1, while the only game in this run that came in the UEFA Champions League was their 5-0 win over RB Leipzig this season.
- İstanbul Başakşehir have lost their last three away games in European competition, failing to score a goal in each of the last two – 0-3 v FC København in August and 0-2 v RB Leipzig in October.
- Anthony Martial is looking to become the first Manchester United player to score in three consecutive UEFA Champions League appearances since Wayne Rooney in March 2010.
- İstanbul Başakşehir striker Demba Ba has made four previous appearances at Old Trafford in all competitions, scoring one goal in a 1-1 draw while playing for Newcastle United in November 2011.
- Five of Marcus Rashford’s nine goals for Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League have been scored after coming off the bench – indeed, the only player to score more goals for the club in the competition as a substitute is current manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (7).
- Demba Ba and Edin Visca scored the two goals for İstanbul Başakşehir in their previous win against Manchester United, while the last player to score home and away against Manchester United in the group stage of a UEFA Champions League campaign was Braga’s Alan in 2012-13.
🥊 Man United vs Istanbul Team News
Here is how we think the teams might lineup:
de Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Telles; McTominay, Fred; Mata, Bruno Fernandes, Rashford; Cavani
Gunok; Rafael, Skrtel, Epureanu, Bolingoli; Kahveci, Tekdemir, Topal; Turuc, Ba, Visca
🪐 Futaa Bets
🔮 Score prediction: Man United 3-1 Istanbul
Follow Man United vs Istanbul live Futaa!