One of Africa’s three representatives, South Africa, will face hosts Japan in the opening game of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
The official group draw was held in a live event from Zurich, Switzerland on Wednesday morning, just around three months before the start of the event.
The African nation will also take on Central American heavyweights Mexico, as well as the European powerhouse that is the mighty Le Bleus of France
Full Groups Draw:
- South Africa 🇿🇦
Meanwhile, South Africa’s head coach, David Notoane has named a 40-man squad, which will be cut to 23 before the trip to Asia mid July.
- Mondli Mpoto (Bloemfontein Celtic), Sifiso Mlungwana (Golden Arrows)
- Reeve Frosler (Kaizer Chiefs), Luke Fleurs (SuperSport United), Repo Tercious Malepe (Minaj FC, Ukraine), Katlego Mohamme (University of Pretoria), Thabiso Monyane (Orlando Pirates), Thendo Mukumela (Cape Town Spurs), Sifiso Ngobeni (Bloemfontein Celtic), Bongani Sam (Orlando Pirates).
- Athenkosi Dlala (University of Pretoria), Luke Le Roux (Varbergs BoIS, Sweden), Kganya Leshabela (Leicester City, England), Kobamelo Kodisang (Sporting Braga B, Portugal), Gift Links (Aarhus, Denmark), Kamohelo Mahlatsi (Swallows FC), Keletso Makgalwa (Mamelodi Sundowns), Grant Margeman (Mamelodi Sundowns), Kgaugelo Chauke (Southampton, England), Sipho Mbule (Supersport United), Happy Mashiane (Kaizer Chiefs), Teboho Mokoena (Supersport United), Nkosiphilile Ngcobo (Kaizer Chiefs), Goodman Mosele (Baroka), Kgaogelo Sekota (Swallows FC), Sithole Sphephelo (Belenenses, Portugal), Ashley Du Preez (Stellenbosch).
- Lyle Foster (Vitoria Guimaraes II, Portugal), Zakhele Lepasa (Orlando Pirates), Fagrie Lakay (Cape Town City), Evidence Makgopa (Baroka), Luther Singh (Pacos de Ferreira, Portugal, loan), Siyabonga Ligendza (Cardiff City U18, England)
- Ronwen Williams (SuperSport United), Ricardo Goss (Mamelodi Sundowns), Percy Tau (Brighton & Hove Albion, England) Themba Zwane (Mamelodi Sundowns), Mosa Lebusa (Mamelodi Sundowns), Mothobi Mvala (Mamelodi Sundowns), Thapelo Morena (Mamelodi Sundowns).
The South Africans will be making a third-consecutive appearance at the games, following appearances at London 2012 and Rio 2016.
The event will kick off on 21 July 2021.