Daniel Sturridge releases statement after ban | Futaa.com South Africa
Daniel Sturridge releases statement after ban
General

Daniel Sturridge releases statement after ban

England striker Daniel Sturridge has released a statement following his ban from football for a breach of betting regulations.

The 30-year old had terminated his contract with Turkish side Trabzonspor earlier on Monday but a ban from all football-related activity until June 17 and a fine of £150,000 was slapped on him hours later.

In a video posted on Instagram on Monday, the former Liverpool man said: "I just want to say it's been a very long, drawn-out process over the last couple of years and difficult to concentrate on my football.

"It's also been a crazy few days. I'm going to continue to campaign for professional footballers to be able to speak to their families and close friends without the real risk of being charged.

"I feel it's the betting companies and the process of people being able to place bets on players moving clubs [that] has to be stopped.

"And although the appeal panel had recognized that I hadn't bet, nobody else had a bet, I was still charged, so it was very disappointing and upsetting for me to hear the news that the appeal panel had overturned the original highly-qualified panel's ruling.

"With that being said, (it's) devastating for me and I'm absolutely gutted about it. My season's over and [I'm] devastated.

"I feel uncomfortable and I just don't think it's the right thing for me to be able to continue accepting wages from a team that I can't contribute to due to being banned and I have come to a mutual agreement with Trabzonspor to terminate my contract."