The 239th collision of the Blue and Red halves of Merseyside sees Rafa Benitez facing up to a club he managed for over five years.
What colour will the city of Liverpool be tonight? Here are a few facts & figures ahead of what's always a hotly-anticipated fixture in any EPL season.
🧠 Everton vs Liverpool: Key facts
- Former Liverpool managers have lost 13 of their last 14 Premier League matches against the Reds, but Brendan Rodgers became the exception and bucked the trend last season, leading his Leicester City side to a home win in February. Rafael Benitez will now aim to do the same with his Everton team at Goodison Park.
- Everton won 2-0 in their last Premier League match against Liverpool, ending a 20-match winless run against them in the competition. The Toffees have never won back-to-back Merseyside derbies in the Premier League.
- Liverpool has scored at least twice in each of their last 17 matches in all competitions, the joint-longest such run in history by an English top-flight side (level with Sunderland in 1927).
- Only Mohamed Salah, with 11 goals, has scored more in the Premier League for Liverpool this season than Diogo Jota's seven. The Portuguese attacker has scored eight goals in his last 11 starts in the competition for the Reds.
- No other EPL fixture has produced more red cards than the 22 dished out in Merseyside Derbies down the years.
- The last recipient of those red cards was Everton’s Richarlison in October 2020 – he’s scored eight of his last ten club goals at home.
- Liverpool has won on 13 of the last 14 occasions a previous Liverpool manager has faced them.
The Toffees are winless in their last seven Premier League EPL outings so the chances of them going four derbies unbeaten for the first time since April 1996 seem remote. Never say never in Premier League though.