Conor McGregor showed an interest in buying Chelsea following Roman Abramovich's decision to sell, but he would not be the first (rich) athletic celebrity to invest in football.
Despite his support for Manchester United, the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion may utilize part of his enormous wealth to venture into football.
Here's our five-man list of some of the richest men and women in the world of sports, already owning shares in football clubs.
- Ronaldo Nazario - Real Valladolid
- Rafael Nadal - Real Mallorca
Back in 2010, legendary tennis player Rafael Nadal and his uncle Miguel Nadal purchased a 10% shareholding in Real Mallorca but they later sold part of it in 2019.
- Lebron James - Liverpool
- David Beckham - Inter Miami
- Serena Williams - Angel City
The interesting this about this women's team based in the United States of America is that it's majorly owned by women and their daughters.
- Candace Parker (NBA Women Player) and her daughter, Lailaa
- Serena Williams (Tennis Legend) and her daughter, Olympia
- Gabrielle Union (Actor) and her daughter, Kaavia James
McGregor owning Chelsea is something that Roman and his board/trustees will have to agree on, with reports indicating that more than 10 bids have already been put in for the London-based club.