Man City produced a wonderful first-leg performance at the Bernabéu before lockdown but their goal might be under siege in the second-leg.
City's impressive 2-1 win in the Bernabéu makes them heavy favourites to progress here, even given all of Real Madrid's pedigree in the competition. Madrid stormed to their 34th LaLiga crown after a string of impressive post-lockdown wins so they have all the momentum needed to make this interesting. It should be an entertaining tie, given that Real has to score at least twice on the night to have any chance of progression. Zidane's men have a staggering record at this stage of the Champions League, winning seven consecutive away matches in the round of 16. This will be a heavyweight test for both managers and sets of players and with Real cruising to the LaLiga title with 10 wins from their last 11 league outings, they're in red-hot form.
🧩 Man City vs Real Madrid key details
- 🗓 7 August 2020
- 🏟 Etihad Stadium
- ⌚️ 22:00 kickoff (EAT)
🧮 Likely starting XIs
🔵 Man City (4-3-3):
Ederson; Walker, Fernandinho, Laporte, Zinchenko; Gundogan, Rodri, De Bruyne; Mahrez, Jesus, Sterling
⚪️ Real Madrid (4-3-3):
Courtois; Carvajal, Militão, Varane, Mendy; Valverde, Casemiro, Kroos; Rodrygo, Benzema, Hazard
🔑 Key betting facts
- Real Madrid won ten of their final 11 league matches en route to winning the LaLiga crown netting the opener in every victory.
- Los Blancos has also scored the opener in three of their past four meetings with City in this competition.
- Gabriel Jesus has scored before HT in four of City’s last six games and netted in the first leg
- Karim Benzema has four goals across Madrid’s last four games, twice netting the opener.
- The team that has scored first has won Real’s last seven away fixtures in the Champions League.
- Madrid has won the last seven away matches that they’ve played at this stage in the Champions League.
- Real Madrid skipper Sergio Ramos is suspended after his red card in the first leg.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 37 of Real Madrid's last 41 games.