2014 World Champions Germany kick off the UEFA Nations League against the team they dethroned at the summit of the game some six years ago.
We're here to preview this standout UEFA Nations League A match from all angles.
📲 BEST BET: Both teams to score
🧩 Germany vs Spain key details
- 🗓 3 September 2020
- 🏟 Mercedes Benz Arena
- ⌚️ 21:45 kickoff (EAT)
📝 Germany vs Spain match preview
Joachim Löw has decided to rest key players from Bayern Munich and RB Leipzig after their involvement in the latter stages of the Champions League. The likes of Joshua Kimmich, Leon Goretzka, Manuel Neuer, Serge Gnabry as well as Lukas Klostermann and Marcel Halstenberg will all miss out, although Bayern duo Niklas Süle and Leroy Sané available.
Luis Enrique has not approached things in the same way as his German counterpart, with Bayern star Thiago included in his plans and likely to start.
Adama Traoré's initial COVID-19 test produced an inconclusive result but the Wolves winger is unlikely to feature either way. Another pace-merchant, Mikel Oyarzabal of Real Sociedad, is definitely ruled out after testing positive.
Excitingly, there is the prospect of maiden Spain caps for Ansu Fati, Ferran Torres, Eric García, Sergio Reguilón, Oscar Rodriguez, Unai Simon, Oscar Rodriguez and Mikel Merino in Luis Enrique's youthful squad. There's a genuine battle for the gloves, too, with Neither David de Gea nor Kepa covering themselves in glory in the last season with their respective clubs. Jesús Navas will push Dani Carvajal for a slot at right-back after leading Sevilla to UEFA Europa League glory.
Spain has scored in 40 consecutive matches, last drawing a blank against Italy at Euro 2016, so the smart money is on both sides scoring on an otherwise unpredictable night.
🔮 Score prediction: Germany 2-1 Spain
✅ Recommended bets: Germany win & BTTS
🧮 Likely starting XIs
⚪️ Germany (4-2-3-1):
Leno; Kehrer, Süle, Ginter, Gosens; Gündoğan, Kroos; Brandt, Havertz, Sané; Werner
🔴 Spain (4-3-3):
Kepa; Navas, Ramos, Llorente, Reguilón; Ruiz, Busquets, Thiago; G. Moreno, R. Moreno, Asensio
📊 Key betting stats
- Germany is looking to make it three consecutive matches in a row without defeat against Spain.
- Germany has only lost one of their last 12 internationals.
- Each of Germany’s last five matches against FIFA top-15 opponents has seen them score first inside 15 minutes, with over 2.5 total match goals by fulltime.
- Spain is undefeated in their last 11 matches, though have drawn against Sweden and Norway in their last three.
- Back in 2018, all four of Spain’s inaugural UEFA Nations League fixtures (W2, L2) produced over 2.5 goals.
- Kai Havertz gave Germany a two-goal lead by the hour mark in their last clash against a side ending August 2020 ranked in FIFA’s top ten (2-2).
- STAT: Overall, exactly half (12) of the 24 UEFA Nations League group stage matches played across League A in 2018 resulted in a home win.
📲 Follow Germany vs Spain live