Southampton are set to host Everton at the St. Mary's Stadium today in their next English Premier League fixture.
The Toffees have dominated head to head clashes between the two recently. As such, count on Everton, the toppers, to secure another win today, and hold on to their position at the top of the table.
Southampton come into this game on the back of a thrilling 3-3 draw against Chelsea last Saturday at Stamford Bridge.
A brace from German striker Timo Werner and a goal from fellow Germany international Kai Havertz for Chelsea was canceled out by strikes from England international Danny Ings, former Birmingham City forward Che Adams, and a late equalizer from Danish center-back Jannik Vestergaard for the Saints.
Everton, on the other hand, drew 2-2 against Liverpool in a fiery Merseyside derby last Saturday at Goodison Park. Star wingers Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah scored the goals for Liverpool, with center-back Michael Keane and in-form striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin finding the net for Everton.
Brazil international Richarlison was sent off for the Toffees in the second half, in a game which saw Liverpool center-back Virgil van Dijk suffer a serious injury.
🔮 Likely starting XIs
Southampton XI: McCarthy; Walker-Peters, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Bertrand; Armstrong, Romeu, Ward-Prowse, Redmond; Adams, Ings.
Everton XI: Pickford; Godfrey, Keane, Mina, Digne; Allan, Doucoure, Gomes; Rodriguez, Calvert-Lewin, Iwobi.
🔑 Key facts
- Southampton have won five of their last seven home Premier League matches against Everton (L2), but they were beaten 1-2 last season at St. Mary’s.
- Everton are looking to win consecutive away top-flight visits to Southampton for the first time since January 1992.
- Southampton have kept more Premier League clean sheets against Everton than they have vs any other side in the competition, with 10 of their 13 shutouts against them coming in home games (77%).
- Southampton have lost just two of their last 12 Premier League games (W6 D4), losing both of their opening two matches this season. Saints are looking to pick up back-to-back home league wins for the first time since December 2019.
- Though they lost their 100% winning start to the season last time out, Everton are looking to remain unbeaten in each of their first six games for only the third time in the Premier League era, also doing so in 2006-07 and 2013-14.
- Everton have won each of their last three Premier League away games, last winning four consecutively on the road in the top-flight back in December 1985.
- No side has scored more headed goals in Premier League history than Everton (322, level with Manchester United).
- Danny Ings has scored in four of his five appearances in all competitions against Everton for Southampton, netting four goals
- Dominic Calvert-Lewin has scored in all five of Everton’s Premier League games this season, netting seven goals in total. The only player in Premier League history to score in each of his side’s first six games to a campaign is Sergio Agüero, who did so with Manchester City last season.
📲 Follow Southampton vs Everton live on Futaa!