Atalanta 1-1 Man City: Bravo sees red as Guardiola's men survive final ten minutes

Atalanta 1-1 Man City: Bravo sees red as Guardiola's men survive final ten minutes

Ten-man Manchester City held on to register a 1-1 draw with Atalanta on Wednesday night in a Champions League encounter. 

City survived the final 10 minutes with Kyle Walker in the sticks although he wasn't really tested. Walker was called off the bench after Claudio Bravo was shown a straight red card for a professional foul.

The Chilean was only on the pitch due to replacing Ederson at the break. Considering everything, a point isn't the worst result for City but they should have had this one wrapped up in the first half where Raheem Sterling handed them a lead before Gabriel Jesus missed a penalty. Mario Pasalic levelled for Atalanta who were the better team after the break. 

Atalanta almost opened City up with their full-back to the fore. Castagne cut inside off the left and whipped a deep ball to the other wing back Hateboer, who was only about six yards out at a tight angle but he punted it into the side netting.

In the 7th minute, City took the lead and it was the usual suspect, Raheem Sterling. Three quick passes opened Atalanta before Silva delivered a spinning ball unto Jesus on the verge of the box. His no-look flick set up Sterling from 15 yards and made no mistake, finding the bottom corner. 

Six minutes to half time Sterling was fouled inside the box by Toloi and the referee called for a penalty. However there was a VAR call and instead, it was a freekick on the verge of the area. 

Mahrez stepped up to take the freekick and it struck into the wall but it looked like it hit Ilicic on the hand. The VAR was called to action again and the City were awarded a penalty and Jesus was the man to take it. The Brazilian rolled a quite terrible penalty well wide of the post. 


In the second half, City were punished for not taking their chances well in the first half. Gomez was the man to provide the quality down the left and his deep cross took Fernandinho and Otamendi out of the game. Pasalic attacked the back post with great gusto and fired home past Bravo, whose first touch was to remove the ball from the back of his net. 

Red Card 

Bravo who came in the second half was sent off for fouling Ilicic. The City keeper came racing out of his goal to deal with Ilicic, who had scampered past the last man. The goalkeeper could only take down the attacker - it was a clear goal-scoring opportunity. 

City made the final change as Walker came in for Riyad Mahrez in order and the outfield player had to become go in between the sticks. 

In the other game in City's group C, it ended  Dinamo Zagreb 3-3 Shakhtar Donetsk after a very late comeback by Shakhtar. This means City remain five points clear at the top but had they won tonight, their progression to the next round was guaranteed.