As the Premier League looks to return on June 17, some clubs had made a request to the league's governing board to be allowed to play friendly matches, and the request has been granted.
However, a number of strict guidelines remain in place. These are:
- No team can travel more than 90 minutes for a match
- Players must travel in their own cars to the matches
- Members of the coaching staff will officiate the matches, as referees will not be allowed
- Everyone involved would have had to have a negative result from coronavirus testing
- Matches can either be played inside stadiums or at training grounds
The friendlies might happen as soon as next weekend, and Football London understands that Leicester City will host Aston Villa at the King Power Stadium as one of those matches.
Championship clubs also requested to play against the PL clubs, and this too will be allowed, but ALL set guidelines must be followed.