Cameroon will on Thursday evening take on Egypt for a place in the finals of the Africa Cup of Nations tournament.
Egypt, the most successful nation on the continent, will be gunning to make the final as they chase an eighth crown.
The hosts, on the other side, will face their toughest test yet, and a win will see them remain on track to winning the crown on home soil.
Ahead of the clash, here are some facts;
- 📅 Date: 3 February 2022
- ⌚ Time: 20:00 local time (19:00 GMT)
- 🏟️ Venue: Olembe Stadium, Yaoundé
- ⚽ Semifinals
- 🇨🇲 🇪🇬 Match: Cameroon v Egypt
- This will be the 11th Africa Cup of Nations encounter between Egypt and Cameroon, no two teams have met on more occasions in the competition’s history.
- Egypt have won three of their last four Africa Cup of Nations games against Cameroon (L1), scoring nine goals, this after netting just twice across their previous six encounters against the Indomitable Lions in the competition (W1 D2 L3).
- Cameroon have progressed from seven of their nine semi-final matches at the Africa Cup of Nations, only opponents Egypt (8) have made it through this round more often in AFCON history.
- The Africa Cup of Nations hosts have been eliminated in three of their last five semi-final matches in the competition, with Egypt the last such team to progress from this round (2-1 against Senegal in 2006).
- Since the beginning of 2017, no player has been directly involved in more goals (9) at the Africa Cup of Nations than Egypt’s Mohamed Salah (six goals, three assists) or Cameroon’s Vincent Aboubakar (seven goals, two assists).